Portability - Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program

“Portability” is defined as the ability for a housing choice voucher holder to move from the jurisdiction of its current housing authority to the jurisdiction of another housing authority operating a Housing Choice Voucher program.

Housing choice voucher holders who desire to move under portability to Reading, Pennsylvania, must contact their current housing authority, and: 

  • Inform your current housing authority of your interest in porting out to Reading Housing Authority (RHA).
  • Inform your current housing authority that RHA's jurisdiction is strictly the City of Reading.
  • Inform your current housing authority that RHA only administers portable vouchers and DOES NOT ABSORB.
  • Ask your current housing authority if you are eligible to port out?
  • Once eligibility is determined, then you should request that your housing authority prepare your portability packet.

Portability packets may be forwarded as follows:

Mail: Reading Housing Authority
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Department
120 South 6th Street
Reading, PA   19602

Fax:  Attention-Portability Clerk at 610-373-4260

Email: section8@readingha.org 

  • Keep in contact with your current housing authority to verify the date your portability packet was forwarded to RHA.
  • When you receive verification from your current housing authority, you shall then contact the RHA HCV Department at 610-373-5088, extension 201 for confirmation that RHA received your packet.   

Reading Housing Authority
400 Hancock Boulevard
Reading, PA   19611

The Reading Housing Authority will not deny any family or individual the opportunity
to apply for or receive assistance under the public housing program on the basis of race, color, sex,
religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, age, family or marital status, handicap, or disability.