“Portability” means that a housing choice voucher holder to move from the jurisdiction of its current housing authority to the jurisdiction of another housing authority operating a Housing Choice Voucher program.

Outgoing Vouchers

Current voucher holders who are residents of the City of Reading and want to move outside of the City may “port” their voucher outside of the jurisdiction, as long as they have used the voucher in the jurisdiction for at least 12 months.

Participants may not port out if they are in violation of the voucher’s Family Obligations, or if they owe a balance to RHA or their landlord.

Voucher holders wishing to move must contact their Housing Specialist for an appointment.  Participants must complete a Move Request Form, and provide the name of the jurisdiction and the Housing Agency to which the participant wishes to move.  Participants will be notified in approximately 2 weeks when their application has been processed.  Participants MAY NOT MOVE BEFORE PAPERWORK IS COMPLETE and APPROVAL IS RECEIVED from the RHA Housing Specialist.  Failure to do so may result in the loss of a voucher and cause the participant to be responsible for the full rent payment.

Incoming Vouchers

Current voucher holders who want to move in to the City of Reading must first contact their current housing authority, and:

  • Inform your current housing authority of your interest in porting out to Reading Housing Authority (RHA).
  • Ask your current housing authority if you are eligible to port out.
  • Inform your current housing authority that RHA’s jurisdiction is strictly the City of Reading.
  • Inform your current housing authority that RHA administers portable vouchers and USUALLY DOES NOT ABSORB.
  • Once eligibility is determined, then you should request that your housing authority prepare your portability packet.

Portability packets may be mailed to:

Reading Housing Authority Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
120 South 6th Street
Reading, PA   19602

Or sent by fax to:  RHA Portability Office – 610-373-4260

Or emailed to: section8@readingha.org

Participants should keep in contact with their current housing authority to verify the date that the portability packet was forwarded to RHA.  When participants receive verification from the current housing authority, they should then contact the RHA HCV Department at 610-373-5088 for confirmation that RHA received your packet.